Friday 4 April 2014

Good Times on The Witching Hour

So myself, Renee, and Heather were on a radio show earlier tonight talking about IDGAF. Overall, I think it went well. While I don't think we were a train wreck, I also think it could have been a bit better...then again, I'm usually pretty harsh on myself and I can see room for improvement in just about anything I do. That's beside the point, though. 

I know I was pretty darn nervous. I really don't like to be the centre of attention or feel like there's a spotlight on me somehow, and that's kind of how I felt during the show. Despite that, I was mostly able to overcome nerves and talk like a normal human being, I think. I froze a bit, but it could have been worse I guess. It's my hope that we were able to dispel a lot of the negativity and rumours I feel like our local community had (and the larger pagan community for that matter). I somehow felt like we had to prove ourselves, and I think that we at least won the respect of our interviewer. Maybe this isn't the case, but she seemed very "prickly" at first.

Anyway, I'm really glad I got the opportunity to go on the show and talk about stuff, and I would definitely go on again in the future. I'm not coming on here to gloat or rant about my experience, but to say "Hey! I did this thing I'm usually really uncomfortable doing, and it didn't suck!" 

I also wanted to come on here to clear a few things up, seeing as how we've already had a comment about the show saying that we were essentially bashing wiccans. That is totally not the case. I guess I can sort of see how you might misconstrue that out of a few things that were said, but we also repeatedly mentioned how we didn't think wicca was stupid or a silly path, and that we welcome people from any path. I know I said I would never call myself a wiccan. I stand by this. I wouldn't call myself a wiccan because I do too many other non-wiccan things to be able to call myself that. Sure, that's where my roots are. It's where I came from, and I owe wicca a lot . But it's not really where I am now. 

The fact of the matter is this: no matter what we say, someone somewhere is going to take something the wrong way and go spurting falsehoods. It happens. Haters gonna hate. All we can do is let our own words and actions speak louder than that, and essentially, not give a fuck. 

So, if anyone is interested in listening to the archived radio broadcast, you can find the link here. It was on a local university station called CKDU, on a show called The Witching Hour. That link will take you to the website, where you will find "program archives" in the left-hand side bar, in rather small font, under the "Donate" button, and wedged between the "Listen On-Line" and "Community Services" links. Then you'll see some drop-down menus in the main part of the page where you have to put in the date, time, and length of the clip you'd like to listen to. Start date is April 4, and the start time 19:30. It ran for 1 hour and 30 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment