Sunday 30 March 2014

Month One, and Blog Prompt Sunday

Ahoy!

Just dropping in with an update.

Firstly I want to apologize for the lack of interesting things on my blog, visually. I used to blog regularly using Live Journal "back in the day", and it has been a looong time since I've done anything in this regard. Since the "blogosphere" has taken off so much (is that even the right word? Sometimes I feel so old), I'm sure there's new ways of doing things and lots of new fancy images I can put in my posts to spruce them up a bit, so just bear with me as I fumble my way around to figure things out. While I'm not exactly a luddite, I'm also not the most tech-savvy person either. I also still haven't quite figured out Facebook...I just don't use it much...that's probably my issue.

Anyway, here I am.

It's been almost a month to the day since I started my IDGAF initiation studies. Pretty crazy, huh? So far it's been going really well. I've got 2 books read (well, nearly - I'm hoping to finish my second book by tomorrow night), I've got an altar again (there will be an upcoming post about this), I've gotten some new witch-y accoutrements, and I've also started a very loose weekly practice. I really need to "tighten my belt" so-to-speak, on that weekly practice though. The first two weeks were great, then I kind of slacked off. Sort of. I had a day set aside where I did stuff and then I "fell of the wagon" when something interrupted that, so I need to make sure I actually set aside some time where if I don't get the chance any other night of the week, I know I'll have time on this day at this time.

I have to say, I'm really excited about IDGAF and what I'm doing with it. This is the first time in a very long time that I've actually been interested in doing something spiritual. It's a great feeling. Prior to 6 or 7 months ago, it was the last thing on my mind, and now I'm trying to find ways that I can nourish that part of myself. I find myself looking to see if there any upcoming classes I can take in my area. Just last week I was actually looking at upcoming classes and retreats in the local Buddhist community. I feel like I'm finally coming out of my internal hibernation. I'm starting to "think outside the box". Heck, maybe you'll even see a video update from me at some point!

I kind of feel like I'm back in school, but instead of trying to impress my professors I'm trying to impress myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So today Renee posted a "Sunday blog prompt", and I thought that I'd answer it. I already had a post in mind for today, but I figured I'd also answer her question since I'm around. She asked: "How do you define your spirituality?"

Well, to me, spirituality is kind of like a verb - "the act of being spiritual". Having a belief in some kind of higher power is great, but belief without action is just religion. To me, anyway. You can think certain things and believe in "god" without really being spiritual, but I don't think you can be a spiritual person without having a belief in something.

So, I define my spirituality in terms of what I do - how I practice. I'm religious in that I have a belief system (that I can firmly define) and a certain set of values which I hold dear, but I'm also a spiritual person because I do something about those beliefs.

To specifically answer the question: My spirituality is the set practices I have that relate to the belief system I follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment