Wednesday 15 February 2017

A New Day

In an effort to make myself more accountable, and to give myself more daily structure, I have decided to take my journal off the physical pages of a notebook, and put it here, on my blog. I am doing this quite reluctantly though, because I am very tactile and I love having a physical notebook to write in with a fancy pen. It is my hope that by making this digital it will force me into more of a daily routine. The biggest reason I'm choosing to do this, however, accountability. I intend on making this accessible for my witchy friends. I hope that in doing this it will force me to be more accountable, to get me back in the habit of making this a routine rather than "oh I'm too tired right now, I'll just do it tomorrow" but the trouble is, tomorrow never comes.

As a part of the class I'm taking, I've decided to do a ritual of dedication. I'm finding it hard to maintain the momentum I had when the class started in the fall, so in hopes of bringing some of that back, I am changing up this blog a bit. Like I said earlier, now it will serve as my journal. Because I will now have a more public journal, there will be times when I change certain things up ever so slightly in the interest of privacy. Just because my life will be more of an open book, it doesn't mean that anyone else's has to be.

And now, with that, the first journal entry...

_______________________________________________________________________


5 days in, and this is my first "real" journal entry...could be worse I guess. I've been doing really well at keeping up with most everything else so far though. The only other thing I really need to work on is meditating. I'm not sure why it's so difficult for me to find the time to do it. It's not like I dislike it or anything, in fact, it's quite the opposite, but for some reason it's like there's a block. I suppose it could be because the altar room is so cold all the time, and just the thought of going in there makes me shiver. I guess it could also be because it's on a different level of the house than where I usually hang out, so it requires more effort to get up and go there. Maybe it's just that I'm lazy...I dunno. It's like...I like the idea of it, but not so much the doing of it. It's kind of weird.

Anyway, something that I've noticed recently is that there is a marked difference in my mood when recite the Lorax. It's like it helps me to get out of whatever "funk" I'm in. I also notice a marked difference when I use BP's. I never thought something so simple could have such quantifiable results, but I'm really noticing a positive change from just those two simple things. Those, along with my affirmations, have really made for a great daily practice. Now if I could just get my butt in gear to meditate, I'd be in business! 

(Just so you know, I'm not actually reciting the Lorax by Dr. Seuss - for privacy reasons, I changed the name and used an abbreviation for something else)

We're getting more snow tonight...and I secretly/not so secretly, love it. I love seeing so much snow. I know a lot of people hate it, and I totally get how frustrating it can be - shovelling the snow wall at the end of our driveway yesterday was a Herculean task, believe me - but I absolutely love the snow. I love how crisp it is and how pristine everything looks just after it's fallen. I love the smell of snow and how fresh it feels. I especially love when it crunches beneath your boots - the perfect snow for skiing in. I guess I just never outgrew the love of snow I had when I was a kid. It's almost like it energizes me. As much as I love the summer - how lush, green, and alive everything is - I absolutely melt in its heat. But in the winter - when everything is dead, frozen, and sleep - my body thrives in the cold, crisp air. It's funny how that is.

Anyway, it's getting late - 11:15 - so I should really be off for the night. 

Here's hoping this new journal format works out better for me. Until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment