Thursday 12 September 2013

Back to Basics

Lately I've been trying to figure out why I've been feeling so blah. Aside from the mundane issues like jobs and money, I think that it's been because I felt very disconnected from my spirituality. Essentially, I was what I would refer to as a "Sunday Pagan". I've always used the term "Sunday Christian" to describe someone who goes to church once a week and then forgets about their spirituality for the other 6 days. They know what they believe, but beyond that there's virtually nothing. So for me, a "Sunday Pagan" is someone that calls themselves Pagan and knows when the seasonal celebrations are, what pantheons they "work"with, and have their defined belief system, but that don't really do anything. They don't really walk their talk, so to speak. Some people would call those people "Lazy Pagans", but I'm not overly fond of the term "lazy". All wording aside, I got very caught up in the day-to-day activities of life, and sort of unknowingly brushed aside my spirituality. Not only did I brush it aside, I sort of forgot about it.

Until about 2 years ago I used to work at the local pagan book store. I was there for about 5-6 years, when it was all said and done. It was my first job, and I loved it. It never really felt like work to me, which was fantastic, and it was a very nurturing environment spiritually speaking. Without really doing any anything I was able to feel like I was practicing my spirituality on a daily basis, just by being there and offering advice and recommendations to people. Now that I work in a more "normal" retail setting, all of that has changed. I no longer have that nurturing environment, and I think because of it, things just slid under the radar without me realizing. But, here I am now.

So, in an effort to kick-start things again, I've decided to get back to basics.

What are basics, you might ask?

Well, for me, that means that I'm going to try to get back into the headspace I had when I first discovered things, but with my older, more experienced spin on it. I'm hoping to start reading again, and re-discovering books that I'd wanted to read in the past, or read books on subjects that have interested me in the past, and maybe a few that stand out to me now. I'm hoping to get outside more, because I find (and have found in the past) that even just being outside helps me to connect (or reconnect) to the world around me (ie, nature), a world that I've very much lost touch with. I also hope to start writing again, which is part of the reason I started this blog. I find that writing helps me clear my head, in some weird way. I'd also like to have my own altar set up again, and maybe, just maybe, I'll start to actually do something on the holidays, or at the very least, the equinoxes. Essentially, I'm trying to search for the roots of what I consider to be my spirituality, and then nurture those roots.

Excuse me while I go find my shovel...

No comments:

Post a Comment